The Department of Virology, established from the first days of the IVRD in 1977 is a specialized research unit on viruses and viral diseases in cattle and poultry. After more than 40 years of development, the Department has affirmed its position and role in the overall development of IVRD.
Functions and tasks: Research on viral diseases in cattle, poultry and aquatic animals; Research and manufacture viral vaccines and biological products; Transfer of technical advances in disease prevention and treatment.
Research capacity: Diseases caused by viruses in terrestrial animals such as: Newcastle disease, Gumboro, duck hepatitis, Avian influenza, Infectious bronchitis in chickens; Duck cholera, Swine cholera, Goat pox, Curly skin ulcers in cattle… Research on production of viral vaccines and biological products.
Training: Staffs at the Department supervised 1 PhD student and many under graduated students from Nha Trang University, Central Highlands University, Hue University of Agriculture and Forestry.
- Determining the role of Swine Cholera virus in fever, anorexia, and constipation syndrome in some central provinces.
- Protection against Newcastle virus after vaccination with Lasota vaccine in chickens infected with Gumboro disease.
- Fluctuation of passive antibody against swine cholera virus in piglets.
- Prevalence of bovine diarrhea virus (BVDV) in cattle in Khanh Hoa and Dak Lak provinces and test for antibodies against BVD virus by ELISA method.
- Circulation of avian influenza virus type A and subtypes H4, H11 in ducks and geese in the provinces of Phu Yen, Khanh Hoa and Ninh Thuan using RT-PCR
- Research on the circulation of goat and sheep pox virus in the localities of Dak Lak, Khanh Hoa and Ninh Thuan by PCR method.
- Evaluation of the distribution of croup virus in ruminant herds in some central coastal provinces.
- Research on making inactivated bivalent oil emulsion vaccines against Newcastle disease (ND) and Infectious bronchitis (IB) in chickens.
- Research on duck hepatitis virus infection in some central provinces and evaluate the effectiveness of egg yolk antibody preparations currently on the market.
- Study on production of lyophilized attenuated chickenpox vaccine cultured on cell lines.
- Research and production of attenuated Gumboro vaccine cultured on cell lines.
Articles in national journals
- Nguyen Thi Phuong Duyen, Do Van Khien, Than Thi Hanh, Du Dinh Quan. Determining the role of swine fever virus in fever, anorexia and constipation in pigs in some central provinces. Journal of Science – Technology and Economic Management, No. 2.2000.
- Do Van Khien, Pham Hung, Du Dinh Quan. Survey on infection rate of cow diarrhea virus in calves in the South Central and Central Highlands regions. Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development, No. 03.2008.
- Do Van Khien, Pham Hung, Du Dinh Quan, Pham Thi Bich Lien, Ho Thi Thanh Phuc. Survey on the circulation of the virus on goats and sheep raised in some central provinces. Journal of Veterinary Science and Technology. Vol. XVII, No. 2.2010.
- Do Van Khien, Pham Hung, Du Dinh Quan, Pham Thi Bich Lien, Ho Thi Thanh Phuc. Survey on the distribution of curvature skin ulcer virus in ruminant herds in some central coastal provinces. Journal of Veterinary Science and Technology. Volume XVII, No. 4.2010.
- Do Van Khien, Pham Hung, Le Thanh Hoa. Isolation and assessment of adaptability of some strains of virulent goatpox virus in the field on primary goat testicle cells. Journal of Veterinary Science and Technology. Volume XVIII, No. 6.2011.
- Do Van Khien, Pham Hung, Nguyen Huu Nam. Evaluation of experimental pathogenicity of some goatpox virus strains in animal copies. Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development, No. 2.2012.
- Do Van Khien, Pham Hung, Le Thanh Hoa, Nguyen Viet Khong. Adaptability of some goatpox virus strains isolated on primary cell types of goat kidney, sheep kidney, testis and vero cell line. Journal of Veterinary Science and Technology. Volume XIX, No. 7,2012.
- Do Van Khien, Pham Hung, Le Thanh Hoa, Nguyen Viet Khong. Isolation and identification of goatpox virus species in Ninh Thuan. Journal of Veterinary Science and Technology. Volume XX, issue 6.2013. Nguyen Thi Bich Nga, Do Van Khien, Le Thanh Hoa.
- Determination of clade 18.104.22.168A and 22.214.171.124C in influenza A/H5N1 virus isolated in 2013 in Vietnam. Journal of Veterinary Science and Technology. Volume XX, issue 7.2013.
- Do Van Khien, Pham Hung, Le Thanh Hoa, Nguyen Viet Khong. Analysis of genetic characteristics of goatpox virus isolated in South Central Vietnam. Journal of Veterinary Science and Technology. Volume XXI, issue 1.2014.
- Pham Hung, Do Van Khien, Dang Thanh Hien, Pham Thi Bich Lien, Do Van Tan. Determination of the prevalence of duck hepatitis virus in ducks reared in the South Central region. Journal of Veterinary Science and Technology. Volume XXI, issue 3.2014.
- Nguyen Duc Tan, Vu Khac Hung, Byoung kwan Kim, Do Van Khien, Do Van Tan. Isolation and selection of some highly virulent strains of blue ear virus (PRRSV) for the production of swine vaccines. Journal of Veterinary Science and Technology. Volume XXII, No. 2.2015.
- Le Thanh Hoa, Nguyen Hong Minh, Tran Thi Thanh Xuan, Do Van Khien, Pham Hung, Tran Xuan Hanh, Chu Hoang Ha, Dong Van Quyen. Analysis of E2 antigen (GP55) gene characteristics of the current vaccine strain C virus in Vietnam. Journal of Veterinary Science and Technology. Volume XXII, No. 2.2015.
- Vu Khac Hung, Do Van Tan, Ho Van Hiep, Nguyen Thi Thu Hang. Evaluation of the stability of some strains of virus causing reproductive and respiratory syndrome in group D1- China. Journal of Veterinary Science and Technology. Volume XXII, issue 3.2015.
Articles in national journals
- Jong-Young Choi, Kwang-Soo Lyoo, Kiju Kim, Van Tan Do, Kyung-Won Lee, Tae-Wook Hahn. A pilot comparative study of Recombinant protein and whole-virus inactivated vaccines against porcine circovirus type 2 in conventionally reared pigs. Research in Veterinary Science; 2019; 123:192-194.
- Van Tan Do, Hoai Thu Dao, Tae-Wook Hahn. Generation of a cold-adapted PRRSV with a nucleotide substitution in the ORF5 and numerous mutations in the hypervariable region of NSP2. Journal of Veterinary Science; 2020; 21(6):e85.
- Van Tan Do, Jisung Jang, Jeongho Park, Hoai Thu Dao, Kiju Kim, Tae-Wook Hahn. Recombinant adenovirus carying a core neutralizing epitope of porcine epidemic diarrhea virus and heat-labile enterotoxin B of Escheria coli as a mucosal vaccine. Archives of Virology; 2020; 165:609-618.
- Hoai Thu Dao, Quang Lam Truong, Van Tan Do, Tae-Wook Hahn. Construction and immunization with double mutant ΔapxIBD Δpnp forms of Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae serotypes 1 and 5. Journal of Veterinary Science; 2020; 21(2):e20.
- Hoai Thu Dao, Van Tan Do, Quang Lam Truong, Tae-Wook Hahn. Enhancement of Apx toxin production in Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae serotypes 1, 2, and 5 by optimizing culture conditions. Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology; 2020; 30(7):1037-1043.
- Hoai Thu Dao, Woo-Sung Shin, Van Tan Do, Quang Lam Truong, Jong-Young Choi and Tae-Wook Hahn. A multivalent vaccine containing Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae and Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae antigens elicits strong immune respomses and promising protection in pigs. Journal of Pure and Applied Microbiology; 2021; 15(1):164-174.
For further details, please contact: Dr. Do Van Khien
Mobile: 0914002948; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org