The Department of Biotechnology was established under the Decision No. 14/QD-PVTY-TCCB dated 24/02/2010 of the Director of IVRD. The department owns a strong research team who educated in developed countries such as US, Japan, Canada, Taiwan, Korea, and Australia. The Department has conducted many research projects at various levels and received many certificates of merit.
Functions and tasks:
Conduct scientific research and apply biotechnology in research and production of veterinary vaccines including vaccines for aquatic animals.
Diagnosis of dangerous diseases in terrestrial and aquatic animals.
Participate in human resource training.
Research capacity: Conducting research and application of biotechnology in veterinary, livestock, aquaculture and environmental treatment; providing services, consulting and transferring technology on applied biotechnology to produce biological products for veterinary, aquaculture and environmental treatment in agriculture; collaborate with both domestic and international partners in the fields of aquatic pathology and biotechnology.
Training: staffs of the Department supervised for 2 PhD students, 7 Master students and many under-graduated students from Nha Trang University, Tay Nguyen University, Hanoi University of Technology.
- Research and production of a recombinant vaccine against head edema and Salmonellosis in swine: 2011-2013
- Research on white spot disease of yellowfin pompano and assessment of transmission ability to some terrestrial animals in the South Central Coast provinces: 2014-2016.
- Circulation of Blue ear virus, determining the resistance to Blue ear disease of pigs vaccinated against 3 diseases (Cholera, Pasteurellosis and Salmonellosis) and propose measures to prevent diseases in swine in Khanh Hoa: 2014-2016.
- Microsporidian diseases in shrimp: 2016-2018.
- Research and production of recombinant vaccine to prevent Pasteurellosis (Pasteurella multocida) in pigs: 2017-2019.
The department has achieved annual awards for excellent team issued by Directors if IVRD from 2011 to 2020. Certificate of Merit from the Chairman of Khanh Hoa Provincial People’s Committee in 2014, 2016. Certificate of Merit from the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development in 2013 and 2017 -2018. Third prize of the 7th Khanh Hoa Science and Technology Competition, 2016-2017. Second prize of the 8th Khanh Hoa Science and Technology Contest, 2018-2019. Third Prize of the 15th National Technical Innovation Contest (VIFOTEC) 2018-2019.
Articles in national journals
- Analysis of some antibiotic resistance genes that produce coli bacteria isolated from pigs with diarrhea (Vo Thanh Thin, Luu Thi Nguyet Minh, Le Dinh Hai, Nguyen Ngoc Nhien, Vu Khac Hung. Journal of Veterinary Science and Technology, 2011, vol. XVIII, no. 3, pp. 24-30)
- Determination of prevalence and antibiotic resistance of coli O157:H7 in healthy buffaloes and cows in some South Central provinces (Nguyen Trong Hai, Dao Hoai Thu, Pham Thi Hang, Ho Van Hiep, Nguyen Thi Kim Phung, Do Van Tan, Le Dinh Hai, Vu Khac Hung, Journal of Veterinary Science and Technology, 2011, vol. XVIII, No. 3, pp. 31-37)
- Analysis of some Shiga toxin variant genes of Escherichia coli bacteria O157:H7 isolated from healthy cattle in some South Central provinces (Bui Thi Ba, Dao Hoai Thu, Do Van Tan, Hoang Huy Hoa, Vu). Khac Hung, Journal of Science and Technology, 2012, vol. XIX No. 3, pp. 33-38).
- Building and characterizing the ∆asd mutation of Salmonella choleraesuis Smith against live vaccine vectors carrying heteromorphic antigens (Nguyen Thi Thinh, Dao Hoai Thu, Lam Thi Hue, Vu Khac Hung. , 2013, Volume 11, issue 2, P. 333-341
- Studying the properties of recombinant plasmids that cloned two antigens (Vu Khac Hung, Dao Hoai Thu, Do Van Tan, Nguyen Thi Thu Thuy, Nguyen Xuan Truong, Hoang Huy Hoa, Nguyen Thi Kim Phung, Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development, November 2013, Issue 2, pp. 80-86.)
- Investigate the situation and analyze the toxic factors of coli bacteria Shiga toxin production isolated from healthy cows in Dak Lak province (Nguyen Dai Lam, Vu Khac Hung, Nguyen Van Dien, Hoang Huy Hoa , Dao Hoai Thu Journal of Science and Technology 2014, Vol. XXI, No. 68)
- Investigate the percentage of pigs carrying F18 by Coli in Khanh Hoa and Dak Lak (Vu Khac Hung, Dao Hoai Thu, Hoang Huy Hoa, Nguyen Thi Thu Giang, Trinh Thi Thu Hang. Journal of Science and Technology of Animals. 2014, Volume XXI, No. 6, P. 53-59.)
- Safety and efficacy of a regenerative combination vaccine against both head edema and swine typhoid on a laboratory scale (Vu Khac Hung, Dao Hoai Thu, Nguyen Thi Thu Giang, Trinh Thi Thu Hang. Studying Flexible Engineering 2015, Vol. XXII, No. 2, P. 52-58)
- Survey on circulation and analysis of the ORF5 gene of PRRSV isolated in Khanh Hoa (Vu Khac Hung, Do Van Tan, Trinh Thi Thu Hang, Le Thang, Nguyen Thi Thu Giang, Dao Hoai Thu, Le Thi Nhuong). Agriculture and Rural Development, December 2015, Part 2, P. 78-82)
- Nocardia sp. causing white spot disease in commercial yellowfin pompano (Trachinotus blochii) in some South Central coastal provinces (Vu Khac Hung, Duong Quy Binh, Nguyen Thi Thu Giang, Trinh Thi Thu Hang, Duong Ba Thanh Dan. Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development, October 2015, Issue 1, P. 107-112).
- 16s rRNA gene sequence analysis and taxonomic position identification of Nocardia causing disease on yellowfin pompano isolated in some South Central provinces, Vietnam (Vu Khac Hung, Duong Quy Binh, Trinh Thi Thu Hang, Nguyen Thi Thu Giang, Phan Nguyen Minh Thu, Journal of Animal Science and Technology. y, 2015, Volume XXII No. 6, P. 41-47.)
- Circulation and homology of enterotoxin-encoding genes (STA, STb, and LT) of Enterotoxigenic coli isolated from diarrhea piglets (Le Dinh Hai, Dang Van Tuan, Vu Khac Hung, Vo Thanh Thin Journal of Veterinary Science and Technology, Volume XXIV, No. 1-2017, pp. 38-44)
- Effects of vaccination against 3 red diseases (swine cholera, paratyphoid, pasteurellosis) on the resistance to blue ear disease of pigs (Vu Khac Hung, Trinh Thi Thu Hang, Nguyen Thi Thu) Giang, Le Thang, Nguyen Xuan Truong, Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development, 2018, No. 14, P. 85-90.)
- Survey on infection rate and gene analysis of SSU rRNA genes of pathogenic microspores in shrimp cultured in pig water (Vu Khac Hung, Nguyen Thi Thu Giang, Trinh Thi Thu Hang, Nguyen Xuan Truong, Nguyen Van Duy. y, 2018, Volume XXV, No. 1, P. 71-76.)
- Transmission route of Enterocytozoon hepatonaei (EHP) spores causing disease in brackish water shrimp (Vu Khac Hung, Nguyen Thi Thanh Thuy, Nguyen Thi Thu Giang, Nguyen Van Duy, Tran Nhat My. Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development, no. September 2018, P. 87-92)
- Cloning, expression and purification of the recombinant protein tPMT-C780 of Pasteurella multocida (Vu Khac Hung, Trinh Thi Thu Hang, Do Thi Trung Anh, Nguyen Thi Thu Thuy, Nguyen Xuan Truong. village, Ho Chi Minh City University of Agriculture and Forestry, 2019, Volume 18 (5), P. 62-69.)
- Cloning, expression and purification of the ToxA recombinant proteome of Pasteurella multocida (Vu Khac Hung, Trinh Thi Thu Hang, Do Thi Trung Anh, Nguyen Thi Thu Thuy, Nguyen Xuan Truong. y, 2019, Volume XXVI, No. 5, P. 22-29.)
- Evaluation of the immunogenicity of the recombinant PMT vaccine to prevent pasteurellosis caused by Pasteurella multocida in pigs (Vu Khac Hung, Trinh Thi Thu Hang, Nguyen Thi Thu Thuy, Nguyen Thi). Thu Giang, Nguyen Xuan Truong, Nguyen Thi Thinh Journal of Veterinary Science and Technology, 2020, Volume XXVII, No. 2, pp. 37-44.)
- Determination of antibiotic resistance (phenotype, genotype) of Pasteurella multocida strains isolated from pigs (Vu Khac Hung, Trinh Thi Thu Hang, Tran Xuan Hanh, Nguyen Thi Thinh. 2020, Volume XXVII, Issue 6, P.33-39)
- Determination of species, tissue type and virulence factors of Pasteurella multocida bacteria isolated from pigs (Vu Khac Hung, Trinh Thi Thu Hang, Tran Xuan Hanh, Nguyen Thi Thu Giang, Nguyen Thi Thinh. Rural Development No. 8/2021. P. 149-155)
- Results of identification of species V. harveyi, V. vulnificus, V. parahaemolyticus, V. alginolyticus on seabass cultured in Khanh Hoa. (Vu Khac Hung. Journal of Veterinary Science and Technology, 2021, Volume XXVIII, Issue 3, pp.69-74)
Articles in international journals
- Genotyping of fimbrial adhesins in Escherichia coli strains isolated from Slovak piglets suffering from diarrhea (Vu-Khac Hung, E Holoda, M Majerciak, G Gaspar, E Pilipcinec. Folia Microbiol (Praha). 2004;49(1):59-63)
- Distribution of virulence genes in Escherichia coli strains isolated from diarrhoeic piglets in the Slovak Republic (Vu-Khac Hung , E Holoda, E Pilipcinec. J Vet Med B Infect Dis Vet Public Health. 2004 Sep;51(7):343-7)
- PCR assay for detection and differentiation of K88ab(1), K88ab(2), K88ac, and K88ad fimbrial adhesins in E. coli strains isolated from diarrheic piglets (E Holoda , Vu-Khac Hung, S Andrasková, Z Chomová, A Wantrubová, M Krajnák, E Pilipcinec. Folia Microbiol (Praha) . 2005;50(2):107-12.)
- Serotypes, virulence genes, and PFGE profiles of Escherichia coli isolated from pigs with postweaning diarrhoea in Slovakia (Vu-Khac Hung, Emil Holoda, Emil Pilipcinec, Miguel Blanco, Jesús E. Blanco, Azucena Mora, Ghizlane Dahbi, Cecilia López, Enrique A González, Jorge Blanco. BMC Vet Res. 2006 Mar 20;2:10)
- Indirect transmission of Escherichia coli O157:H7 occurs readily among swine but not among sheep.(Cornick NA, Vu-Khac Hung. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2008 Apr;74(8):2488-91)
- Prevalence and genetic profiles of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli strains isolated from buffaloes, cattle, and goats in central Vietnam. (Vu-Khac Hung, Cornick NA. Vet Microbiol. 2008 Jan 25;126(4):356-63)
- Regulation of mannose phosphotransferase system permease and virulence gene expression in Listeria monocytogenes by the EII(t)Man transporter (Vu-Khac Hung, Kurt W Miller. Appl Environ Microbiol, 2009 Nov;75(21):6671-8).
- Virulence factors in Escherichia coli isolated from calves with diarrhea in Vietnam (Nguyen Duc Tan, Vo Thanh Thin, Vu-Khac Hung. J. Vet. Sci, 2011, 12(2)
- Isolation and genetic characterization of Nocardia seriolae from snubnose pompano Trachinotus blochii in Vietnam (Vu-Khac Hung, Duong Quy Binh,, Shih-Chu Chen , Pham Trung Hieu, Nguyen Thi Thu Giang, Trinh Thi Thu Hang. Dis Aquat Organ, 2016, Tập 120(2), Tr. 173-177.)
- Intersubtype Reassortments of H5N1 highly pathogenic avian influenza viruses isolated from Quail (Nguyen Huu Tinh, Van Thai Than, Dang Thanh Hien, Vu-Khac Hung, Nguyen Duc Tan, Wonyong Kim. Plos one, 2016).
- Vertical Transmission and Early Diagnosis of the Microsporidian Enterocytozoon hepatonaei in Whiteleg Shrimp Penaeus vannamei (Vu-Khac Hung, Nguyen Thi Thanh Thuy, Nguyen Thi Thu Giang, Le Chi Hieu, Nguyen Van Duy. Journal of Pure and Applied Microbiology, 2018, 12(3), 1125-1131.)
- Identification of protective protein antigens for vaccination against Streptococcus dysgalactiae in cobia (Rachycentron canadum) (Nguyen Thi Thu Thuy, Nguyen Trong Hai, Vu-Khac Hung, Pei-Chi Wang, Shih-Chu Chen. Fis and Shellfish Immunology, 2018, 80, 88-96)
- Enhanced immune responses and effectiveness of refined outer membrane protein vaccines against Vibrio harveyi in orange-spotted grouper (Epinephelus coioides) (Nguyen Trong Hai, Nguyen Thi Thu Thuy, Yan-Chun Chen, Vu-Khac Hung, Pei-Chi Wang , Shih-Chu Chen. J Fish Dis 2018 Sep;41(9):1349-1358)
- Prevalence of virulence factor, antibiotic resistance, and serotype genes of Pasteurella multocida strains isolated from pigs in Vietnam. (Vu-Khac Hung, Trinh Thi Thu Hang, Nguyen Thi Thu Giang, Nguyen Xuan Truong, Nguyen Thi Thinh. Veterinary World Journal, 2020, 13, 896-904.)
- Isolation and characterization of Clostridium perfringens strains isolated from ostriches (Struthio camelus) in Vietnam. (Nguyen Thị Tham, Vu-Khac Hung, Nguyen Đuc Tan. Vet World. 2020 Aug;13(8):1679-1684)
For further details, please contact Dr. Vu Khac Hung
Mobile: 0914199765; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org